Review: No Judgements

I need to premise this by mentioning how much of a Meg Cabot fan I am. Now bear that in mind going forward, because god knows what I'd make of No Judgements if I didn't previously like her writing.

I recently finished Bridal Boot Camp, the short story that's preceded No Judgements. Anyone who's read that review will know that I had my fair share of problems when it came to the first instalment in the series (if you can really call it that). My main issue being that the focus of it was clearly to set up for this novel, with particular focus being place on setting over plot or character development. The result was a slightly imbalanced and weirdly paced end product.

This didn't worry me too much going into No Judgements, because as I mentioned, I'd assumed that this came down to the simple fact that it was a short story geared towards introducing us to Little Bridge Island. Which I was mostly okay with. Because I don't mind reading something a little rough around the edges (and extremely short) if it'll ultimately makes the difference when reading the sequel. My issue is that I found myself picking up on the same issues in this full length addition to the series. If we can really call it that? It felt very short to me, but that may just be a case of ebook syndrome.

I'm disappointed to say that No Judgements, like Bridal Boot Camp, really missed the mark for me. Honestly I'm shocked to be saying that, because as an avid animal lover with pink hair, and a love of disaster movies, I was really thinking this was going to be a pretty solid fit. And the blurb and cover definitely had me sold. Unfortunately, the book itself just didn't follow through. I'm going to try to narrow it down to what I think are the defining factors in what didn't work for me. But first, let's talk about what did work! Because it definitely wasn't all bad.

Unsurprisingly, Cabot paints an absolutely convincing picture of Little Bridge Island. We're reintroduced to some familiar settings, such as the Mermaid. It's a fun one, and definitely plays into that fun chick lit waitress trope that always seems to translate into interesting friendships between the staff. We definitely get a little of that at the beginning of the book, with Bree's friendships with fellow waitresses showcased at the hurricane party. And it obvious that the Mermaid staff and regulars serves as a kind of basis for the main characters. Certainly it paves the way narratively for Bree to stay with the Hartwells and ultimately for her to get closer to Drew.

And even without getting too location specific, the setting is definitely one of the more expanded elements of No Judgements. This is really where Cabot gets a chance to let her writing shine. It's definitely a relief, because anyone who's read her other works knows what potential her writing has for greatness. The Princess Diaries series is the most famous of all of her writing, but anyone who read her other series' knows that it wasn't a blip. Cabot can write damn well, and if you're paying attention, that'll be evident throughout No Judgements. It's engaging and descriptive in a way that really makes you feel there, and despite the otherwise cluttered narrative, does evoke a sense of calm? Her writing gives off that familiarity and comfort I definitely associate with her books.

Unfortunately, a good ambience and fleshed out world doesn't a 5 start book make. The plot is a little lackluster, and the pacing doesn't seem to help the case. Just like with Bridal Boot Camp, I found that I really enjoyed where the read was going until things started to get more heated between the main couple, and then things all started to feel a bit jumbled. It this case, that happened at the Chapter 15 mark, where Drew and Bree share their fist kiss. I know it sounds ridiculous, given it happens a whole 15 chapters into the novel, but it just came off a rushed for me. And this only got more evident to me as I kept reading. I can't quite decide if it's an editing issue maybe? I only say this because it almost feels like certain events were moved up within the narrative in order to make the book overall shorter. But I could be totally off the mark with that.

A longer version would have made so much more sense to me, in terms of the romance. I think Cabot writes romance best as a slow build, and does especially well in stretching a romance out over several books. I think I'd have enjoyed Bree and Drew far more if No Judgements had focused on the hurricane pushing them together, and them slowly growing to like each other after an initial miscommunication. And then with a subsequent book expanding on their budding friendship and attraction. As it was, I found the romance thoroughly rushed past the Chapter 15 mark.

I will also say that I think a longer book would have definitely helped create a bit more tension, and help equalise some of the weird pacing. Some scenes just felt so dragged out comparatively to the length of the book, when very little had actually happened within the plot. And the hurricane seemed to just.. Be over? The pacing seemed very strange to me, but I don't know how much of that if trying to be true to real life? Someone with experience of hurricanes will have to tell me if it read true to their experiences or not, I'm really intrigued.

I feel like I have so many points to address, but I also don't want to go on too much of a rant. I do, however, have to address that scene towards the end of the novel. You know, the one where we find our mostly level headed protagonist waving about a gun? Mmm. That was an interesting addition, that felt very out of place, and honestly came off as an attempt to drive more DRAMA! into the ending. I understood her motivations, given that it was supposed to be the climax of her character arc, finally confronting the things shes been running away from. It was a very literal approach, which didn't quite pay off. It also felt very out of character, and cheapened the sensitive subject matter.

Overall I was disappointed with No Judgements, and would have liked to see the characters explored more thoroughly. The writing is good insofar as style was concerned, but lacked the correct pacing and interest to really make the story flourish. A little cluttered.



You Might Also Like

0 comments

Browse by Genre